LOCAL PROJECTS SUPPORTED and FUNDED BY ATWATER-WINTON LIONS CLUB
1. VISION SCREENINGS for all LOCAL SCHOOLS.
2. EYE EXAMS & GLASSES for those who cannot afford them.
3. COLLECT USED EYEGLASSES and DISTRIBUTE them WORLD-WIDE.
4. Lions Eye Foundation and Eye Hospital.
5. Flag Day presentation of free flags at local schools (All 3rd grades in Atwater & Winton Schools).
6. Camp Pacifica (Camp for Hearing & Sight Impaired). Club maintains a cabin at Camp Pacifica.
7. Sponsors student speaker’s contest (High School Level).
8. “RELAY FOR LIFE”.
9. Kops & Firefighters for Kids.
10. Castle Air Museum.
11. Annual ATWATER-WINTON LIONS/FRAN ONETO Easter BASEBALL TOURNAMENT.
12. Lions All-Star Football Game.
13. FRANK WERSHINGER & LEWIS S. BRAXTON Annual Vocational Memorial Scholarships. With $1,000, each, going to a student from Atwater High School & Buhach Colony High School.
14. Atwater High School Girl’s Softball Program.
15. Atwater Memorial Ball Park improvements.
16. Atwater H.S. Falcon Wrestling.
17. Sponsors Atwater little League Team.
18. Local 4-H and FFA members.
20. Kings View Work Experience Center.
21. CANINE COMPANIONS for INDEPENDENCE.
22. “City of Hope” Cancer Research Center.
23. MERCED COUNTY ACADEMIC DECATHLON.
24. Atwater Youth Baseball.
25. NEEDY FAMILIES at CHRISTMAS.
26. Atwater High School Woodshop Program.
27. “PARKER’S PROM”
28. Merced Co. Community Action – “EMPTY BOWL PROJECT”.
29. “Happy Feet Foundation”.
30. GUIDE DOGS for the BLIND.
31. ANNUAL FUNDRAISERS/EVENTS “CHARITY ROUNDUP” DINNER.
32. Annual Pancake Breakfast Buffet.
33. Poinsettia Sale.
34. White Cane Day.
Five Global Aims for Lions
Vision, childhood cancer, environment, diabetes, and hunger
All our projects started with a Lion. Where there’s a need, there’s a Lion. Do you have something you want to do in our community? Join us today.
Collection of used glasses, pull tabs, ink cartridges, cellphones
Drop-off location: 596 Bellevue Rd, Atwater, CA 95301. See the Lions’ sign on the windows. The door is between the breezeway. Open during office hours 8-5pm Monday to Thursday. Collection boxes are at different schools. Let us know if you would like to have a collection box.
Used glasses are re-done and given to another person with matching prescription.
Pull tabs are recycled and donated to Ronald McDonald House of Charity. RMHC provides a roof for parents when children are in the hospital.
Ink cartridges and cellphones are donated to Student Speaker Contest Foundation.
Lions Eye Foundation
Our members are serving the board member of Lions Eye Foundation and Eye Hospital. Free eye surgeries for low income people.
NOTE: The following items are broken into different times of the year. We want to provide as much information to give you an experience and motivate you to join us.
Student Speakers Contest: (Club-level) https://md4lions.org/student-speakers-contest From February to June, California Lions Clubs has a project that bring all the Lions together. At club, zone, region, district, area, and state levels, different high school students compete for scholarship on a specific social topic. 2020 topis is: Homelessness, what is the solution?
Flag Day: Lion Tom and other Lions bring flags and information sheets to all 3rd graders in Atwater & Winton Schools.
“Parker’s Prom” Children’s Hospital of Central California: Parker’s Prom is a dance for children with cancer. Some of these children might not be at the dance and usually each year, different Lions clubs and LEO clubs join together and provide this dance and fun activities for the children.
Annual Charity Roundup Dinner (Surf N’ Turf): With silent auction, raffle prizes, dessert auction, and grand prizes and more. Feel free to contact us for sponsorship or donation. All proceeds go to local Lions projects.
Annual Easter Egg Hunt with the City of Atwater
Annual Atwater-Winton Lions/Fran Oneto Easter Baseball Tournament
FRANK WERSHINGER & LEWIS S. BRAXTON Annual Vocational Memorial Scholarships: $1,000 each scholarship goes to a student from Atwater High School & Buhach Colony High School.
Installation Dinner: And reveal our Lions of the Year in June.
Camp Pacifica (Camp for Hearing & Sight Impaired): Our club maintains a cabin. Our club has many members serving the board. Each summer we go up to cook for children who are deaf or hearing impaired. https://www.facebook.com/Camp-Pacifica-114413301916406/
Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI4mls1kw1nChubkbVeRLKw
Vision Screening for all Local Schools: Lion Ron leads a group of Lions to use spot cameras to check children’s eye. When a child doesn’t have insurance, our club sponsors the child’s eye exam and glasses.
White Cane Day: Lion Ron and other Lions stand outside Atwater SaveMart to pass out little white cane to raise awareness for white cane safety. Usually, our community supports us with a small donation. Thank you.
Annual Pancake Breakfast: Traditionally, it is with Fall Festival. It is a pancake, sausage, egg, biscuit, fruit BUFFET and coffee, milk, chocolate milk, orange juice and apple juice included at a very, very reasonable cost. We usually have high school students helping us too. All proceeds benefit local Lions projects.
Gift cards for NEEDY FAMILIES at CHRISTMAS
Club’s Christmas Party
What makes Lions special is that we have two main accounts. The funds we raised from the public will 100% go back to the public. When we have our own parties, dues and other things, we raise money among our members. All of us are volunteers.
Since we are an international organization, besides club activities, there are many district or international activities that you can participate in. And various leadership trainings available.